Revival

Revival - Stephen King Reseña en español en el blog: Click aquí
El libro ya está disponible en español.

I didn't know what to expect from this book since the description doesn't say much and I hadn't read any reviews, so I was really impressed by this novel. It's a book about Jamie Morton's life and how he meets reverend Jacobs, a man that will cast a shadow that will haunt him for the rest of his life.

The whole story is told by Jamie, we get to know his childhood and how he grew up. Stephen King coming of age stories are always great, he writes great tales about childhood and the first chapters of this book are no exception. Although this is enjoyable for the most part, it became kind of boring at some point because it's like reading some sort of fictional autobiography.

Fortunately King increasingly presents disturbing scenes and other supernatural aspects that keep you trying to find out what is going to happen and when I reached the half it was impossible for me to put this book down.

But certainly what I enjoyed the most was the amount of references to other King books like: The Dark Tower, Joyland and several short stories like "N", "Crouch End" and "I'm the Doorway" to name a few. His recent books lacked of these connections so I was thrilled when I began to find them.

The ending was brilliant and totally unexpected. Although King gives some hints along the whole book I didn't see it coming, it blew my mind me like other of his classic books that I read many years ago.

This is Kings ultimate tribute to horror authors that inspired him like Mary Shelley, HP Lovecraft, Peter Straub, Bram Stoker, Albert Machen and several others that he mentions when the book begins, so if you like those authors (as I do) go and read this book, you won't be disappointed.

"That which is not dead can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons, even death may die."