Ghost Story

Ghost Story - Peter Straub Lectura conjunta del grupo Letras Macabras reseña en español en mi blog: Click Aquí

Ghost story is considered Peter Straub's best book and Stephen King says that it's "one of the finest horror novels of the late 20th century", with such endorsement I had high hopes for this book and it didn't disappoint me.

I have to say that this wasn't a light read, the first half of the book is full of details that become important later on the story but if you endure, the second half of the book is truly amazing.
It can be confusing at first because the prologue take place moments before the ending of the story so it only make sense as you progress through the book. I think this was great because it wrapped up the story perfectly.

You may think that ghost aren't scary but trust me, the ghosts described by Straub on this book are very creepy and relentless. Also he gives a really original vision about them. I don't want to spoil the story, but there's uncertainty about what these supernatural beings truly are (not for me, I'm convinced that they're ghosts but whatever, read this book and make your guess).

Another good aspect of this novel was that the main characters are four elderly men that formed a group called "The Chowder Society" where they tell each other horror stories. The setting is another thing that I really liked, it reminded me Salem's Lot by Stephen King because Milburn is a creepy little town in the middle of nowhere, an ideal scenario for a horror story.

I totally recommend this book. Be warned that this is not an easy read (especially the first half) but if you keep reading you're rewarded with an extremely original horror story.
I won't compare Peter Straub with Stephen King, he's not better or worse only different. I find his books to be extremely detailed but they are really well written and I think that fans of Stephen King would enjoy his novels.

As a final note, Straub connects his novels: Ricky Hawthorne (one of the members of the Chowder Society and a main character on this book) is mentioned in [b:Floating Dragon|19593|Floating Dragon|Peter Straub|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309202978s/19593.jpg|256948] (a great book that I also recommend) where his nephew is one of the characters.
Also the town of Milburn is mentioned in [b:Koko|19577|Koko|Peter Straub|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348038461s/19577.jpg|3366520].