The Colour of Magic

The Colour of Magic  - Terry Pratchett Review en español de El color de la Magia en mi blog: Click aquí

“Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant ‘idiot.”

The Colour of Magic is the first Discworld novel and an introduction to this bizarre "multiverse". This book tells the story of Rincewind, a level 0 wizard who was expelled from the Unseen University and now lives a monotonous and very boring life. This will change when he meets Twoflower, the first tourist in the history of Discworld: a short and naive guy who is a great stereotype of every tourist.
Rincewind is assigned with the task of protect Twoflower in his journey across the Discworld in which they will live a lot of amazing and funny adventures facing a soul eating god, imaginary dragons, pirates, enslavers and a lot of fantastic creatures.

Although I loved every single moment of this book, I wouldn't recommend it to new readers of the series. This is because, being the first Disworld novel, many aspects of the world aren't developed yet, so Pratchett spends some passages explaining Discworld physics that are really funny but can confuse readers who aren't used to his bizarre and silly style.

The characters on this book are awesome (as in every Pratchett book), my favourite was Twoflower, his naivety endangers him constantly and he doesn't seem to care as long as he can take a picture to document his journey. Plus the whole book is a great parody of role playing games.
Death AND HIS CAPITALS appears for the first time and it's hilarious as always. It was funny for me since he was really cruel compared to later novels where he is more sympathetic to his victims.

To sum up it's a great book but not recommended for new readers of the Discworld series. It's better, in my opinion, to start at later books such as [b:Guards! Guards!|64216|Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)|Terry Pratchett|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1431127356s/64216.jpg|1128601], [b:Men at Arms|400354|Men at Arms (Discworld, #15; City Watch #2)|Terry Pratchett|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388215150s/400354.jpg|819071] or [b:Mort|386372|Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)|Terry Pratchett|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388181166s/386372.jpg|1857065] in which the world is already developed and once you're used to Pratchett writing style.